Tuesday 5 October 2010

Something I enjoyed today

So At work, we put our bathroom out of order permanently due to 5 or so massive blockages in the toilet causing overflow. So either customers are abusing our good nature, or the plumbing is failing. Either way, we can't spend our days pulling customers shit out of the toilet every day - as a result it's out of order.

There's the back story. It's relevant.

A customer comes in today, and asks for the wash-room key. I said "sorry, it's actually out of order just now." The woman gets all fluffed up and is like "I spend so much money here, I'm a good customer blah blah blah, the world owes me a living" I said, I'm sorry, there was a Waves (coffee Shop) on the corner if she needed one, I knew they had a bathroom. Then she goes all fluffy again about "I'm a regular customers I shouldn't be sent across the street to go to the bathroom, I spend lots of money here.. blah blah blah I don't mean to take it personally but I think this is terrible... blah blah blah" and I said "We actually aren't required to have a public bathroom here, but it's just out of order for now" and she goes off huffing and puffing. She says she's got some paint on hold so I pull it for her and then she wants to go fart around in the aisle some more. whatever.
 Already irritated by the woman I head off and start ringing in the next customer. The bathroom woman lines up behind the woman I'm helping and says "Must have been a theft issue, or something for you to put it out of order" (she interrupted the customer I was helping to say). I was getting annoyed and said "actually it's the plumbing or something...." and continued helping the person in line. Bathroom woman is like "OH... well you should get that fixed I mean, I know you can't do anything about it, but you should pass it along so it gets looked at" and I said "They're already on it...." (Like, Fucking DUH!!!) and she says "oh that's good" and carries on about how horribly inconvenienced she is. I said "Look, It's not a malicious thing, we didn't go in there and mess up the plumbing just so you couldn't use it, It's beyond our control, It's just OUT of ORDER for now, and hopefully it will get fixed."  Super irritated by now. Then she starts in on "Do you know when it will be back up?" and I said no, I didn't know if it would EVER be back up. She rambled on as she wandered away, and luckily I was able to escape at that point.

What on EARTH makes a person act like that?
Why the fuck do people think that the people who had to shove their arm elbow deep into their shit to try to repair the toilet, should give a flying FUCK that they have to cross the street to take a piss?

Before you run and bitch out someone in an art store for not having a public bathroom remember this - By law, we are not required to have a public bathroom; only food service places have to. The bathroom Opus locations provide for you is a bonus! a COMPLETE bonus! Consider yourself lucky that people are willing to deal with public bathrooms at all so you have a place to go to.

PS: She doesn't spend much money at Opus, I didn't recognize her at all - The woman she interrupted however was a very good customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment