Monday 29 November 2010

Body worlds sketching contract?

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'm heading to the Body Worlds Exhibit in Science world Hopefully to do some sketching but this thing you have to sign in order to sketch has some pretty... alarming requirements. These last 4 for example:

1.         The Institute for Plastination (hereafter referred to as “IfP“) shall grant the artist/art student, upon presentation of a valid I.D. and/or student card, the permission to make drawings, sketches and paintings (hereafter referred to as “works“) in the aforementioned exhibition. The works are to be used exclusively in private context. Any other use of the works, such as book illustrations, advertising activities, Internet pages, in art galleries or any other commercial purposes shall be subject to the prior written consent of the IfP.

So I can't post my own drawings on my blog without a NEW legalese document if I like them, this means. I don't think this is what I signed last time. Last time it only said I just couldn't SELL my images of the body worlds sketches, which I understood to a point.

2.         The signatory undertakes to send, free of charge, copies or photos of the sketches/drawings to the BODY WORLDS press office, at Science World, 1455 Quebec Street, Vancouver, BC, V6A 3Z7 or by email to p.saunders@bodyworlds.com within two weeks of the artists visit.

I HAVE to send them copies of my images? I don't even normally scan all my images. this seems pretty ..unfair.

3.         The IfP leaves it at the artists discretion to present prints of his/her works and to conclude a separate agreement with the IfP, should the IfP be interested in using these prints. Irrespective of these provisions, the IfP requests every artist to provide the IfP with prints which will be used exclusively for internal documentation purposes. 

If they like my drawing I have to give them prints for their offices?? 
4.         Should the artist fail to comply with this agreement, he/she shall undertake to pay a contractual penalty of US       $5,000, to the IfP. This contractual penalty will fall due even if the IfP should ascertain at a later point in time that information which the artist provided was incorrect.

UM....$5000 for keeping drawings in my sketchbook?!

This is all a little bit strange to me. 
Granted I'm not an expert in legalese but I read it as English and think I get the meaning of it... sure they're protecting their rights as the plastination is an art form in itself, I can see that - but do I have to sign away MY rights as an artist to respect their rights? seems odd.

I just noticed they only have after hours times listed as thursday to saturday! that means that Jeri wont be able to make it to the afternoon one tomorrow, as it does not exist as we planned.. this is upsetting.... Wonder what we're going to do about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment